Jul 14, 2008

More on Book Objectives: 2 weeks for your comments

I have also received some feedback on the scope of our objectives (4 in total) being too broad. Comments like "Serving general public, UWCers, parents and donors" at a time may seem to be difficult.

Hence, I suggest the first objective to be the primary objective and the second to fourth objectives to be the secondary objectives.

Primary Objective:
1. To promote a new kind of education (i.e. UWC mission and vision)

Secondary Objectives:
2. To formally record our memories and share to all UWCers & LPCers
3. Generate a profit and donate to LPCUWC for scholarship / project funds
4. Show our UWC sponsors how our alumni are contributing back to society & appeal to potential sponsors

Hence, our main target group will the general public in Hong Kong and those who can read Chinese/English.

Again, we welcome for comments in the coming 2 weeks (14-27 July) in order to make it final.

2 comments:

Hofan Ciao 可凡 said...

Actually, if you had to pick one of the four to be a primary objective, the "general public" is the most vague. What do you mean by the general public? Why should the general public care about your school?

Bottom line: Would you pay $150 for a beautiful glossy book about LaSalle or DBS at Commercial Press?
I wouldn't. If the cover and the photos were really attractive, I might browse through it, but to ask me to invest $150 in a school that I am not affiliated with... I'm not convinced.

I might, if I was a prospective student, be interested. Or maybe as an educator/principal seeking to expand my ideas on curriculum + pedagogy. However, if this was the case I would be far more interested in a cheaper publication, can be something like 號外.. glossy + classy but under $50.

If this is the case then bilingual would be much better for our image. The only reason I can think of going pure Chinese is if you are planning to hitting the mainland market, in which case I would use simplified Chinese. (In terms of added value, I think that promoting UWCs in mainland is probably more valuable than HK, since LPC is really getting quite established in HK already these days)

Anyway, my suggestion is this. I think we need to clarify this "general public" thing.
The suggestion to go pure Chinese came from the fact that we plan to market in bookstores, but I'm actually not convinced that there is a market in bookstores... not in the current format we are planning the book now.

Cheers,
Hofan.

We are...... said...

Yes. "general public" should be narrowed down to target on propsective students, their parents as well as Hong Kong educators who may want to know more about UWC cirriculum and lives of their alumni and students. Thanks Hofan.

Any other ideas? Seems it is a bit quiet here......